According to the National Coalition against Domestic Violence,
- Nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- Women between the ages of 18–24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States has been raped in their lifetime.
- 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.
These statistics are sobering.
In such a violent world, Bloomington is grateful to have Middle Way House, whose mission is to “end violence, both structural and interpersonal, in the lives of women and children.” This amazing organization provides a 24-hour crisis line, an emergency shelter, transitional housing, legal advocacy, prevention education, and more to women and children who have had to endure domestic violence and sexual assault. In 2013, they provided emergency shelter to 246 women and children, 87% of whom were able to leave their abuser. That same year, they provided transitional housing to 50 women and over 100 children, 87% of whom now maintain permanent housing. Beyond the hands-on work of helping victims, they collaborate with other organizations and with local government to make real cultural change.
We at Middle Way House believe that acts of domestic violence and sexual assault, and our society’s tolerance of them, are expressions of deeply rooted sexism in our culture. Consequently, Middle Way House cannot hope to end violence against women without doing the hard work of changing the culture, addressing gaps in legislation and enforcement pertinent to crimes of violence against women, and demanding equity in our social and economic arrangements.
When we started Inkblot, one goal was to give back to our amazing community. Each quarter, we donate to a local organization, and this quarter, we have chosen to thank Middle Way House. They do such important work in our community, and we’re honored to be able to donate to their cause.
If you find yourself in the position to give, consider Middle Way House or the many other worthy organizations in your community.